On this first day of spring, I invite you to attend our first round of spring concerts and events!
- This Saturday, March 22nd, at 3:00 pm, will feature our Academy String Orchestra (ASTRO) and Lawrence Adult Music Programs (LAMP) Orchestra in a concert at the Chapel. Tickets are $8 and are available online or at the Box Office on the day of the concert. For youth interested in joining ASTRO, auditions take place on Sunday, April 27th. Adults interested in joining, or learning more about, the LAMP Orchestra next fall should fill out an online interest form.
- This Saturday, March 22nd, at 7:00 pm, we will feature our Academy Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble in a concert at the Chapel. Tickets are $8 and are available online or at the Box Office on the day of the concert. For those interested in joining Wind Ensemble, auditions are being scheduled right now; contact the office immediately if you don’t want to miss out! Symphonic Band is open to students with one year or more of experience on a wind or percussion instrument; no audition is required.
- Next Saturday, March 29th, at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm, our Girl Choirs will feature “A Sampler in Song,” featuring sets of music that are stitched together with ideas inspired by quilt blocks. Please join us to hear seven choirs and see a variety of beautiful, hand-made quilts on display. Tickets are $8 for students/seniors and $12/adults; they are available online or at the Box Office the day of the concert. Girl choir auditions will take place in April; interested girls new to the program are encouraged to register for an audition as soon as possible.
- Next Saturday, March 29th, at approximately 8:30 pm, we will draw the winning tickets for this year’s raffle! The drawing will take place at the conclusion of the 7:00 pm girl choir concert and will be webcast live. Listen for your name – perhaps you will be the winner of a $1,000 vacation voucher, $700 Academy of Music tuition credit, $250 Express gasoline card, or 2 tickets to see the Milwaukee Brewers! If you haven’t purchased your ticket, contact the Academy office or purchase one from your favorite Academy student! Each ticket is only $5. We are grateful to Appleton Group Wealth Management, U.S. Venture, Inc., Burkhalter Travel, and the Milwaukee Brewers for sponsoring the raffle.
- The Boldt Challenge, wherein donations of $100 or more will be matched, up to $5,000, is underway for one more week! If you have not yet had the opportunity to make a donation to the Academy’s tutti! fund, which supports tuition assistance, teacher development, and program costs, please do so today. The deadline for the Boldt Challenge is 4:00 pm Friday, March 28th.
- If you are enrolled in private lessons, please be sure to double-check with your teacher in regard to his or her spring break schedule. The Academy offices will have reduced hours the week of March 31st and will be closed all day on Wednesday, April 2nd.
- If you are interested in what our alumni are up to, you have the opportunity to see a few of them in performance with the Luther College Symphony Orchestra this Saturday at 7 pm at Appleton North High School. A freewill donation will be collected.
Enjoy this springtime concert season,
Karen Bruno, director
Lawrence Academy of Music