On this first day of spring, I invite you to attend our first round of spring concerts and events!
- This Saturday, March 22nd, at 3:00 pm, will feature our Academy String Orchestra (ASTRO) and Lawrence Adult Music Programs (LAMP) Orchestra in a concert at the Chapel. Tickets are $8 and are available online or at the Box Office on the day of the concert. For youth interested in joining ASTRO, auditions take place on Sunday, April 27th. Adults interested in joining, or learning more about, the LAMP Orchestra next fall should fill out an online interest form.
- This Saturday, March 22nd, at 7:00 pm, we will feature our Academy Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble in a concert at the Chapel. Tickets are $8 and are available online or at the Box Office on the day of the concert. For those interested in joining Wind Ensemble, auditions are being scheduled right now; contact the office immediately if you don’t want to miss out! Symphonic Band is open to students with one year or more of experience on a wind or percussion instrument; no audition is required.
- Next Saturday, March 29th, at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm, our Girl Choirs will feature “A Sampler in Song,” featuring sets of music that are stitched together with ideas inspired by quilt blocks. Please join us to hear seven choirs and see a variety of beautiful, hand-made quilts on display. Tickets are $8 for students/seniors and $12/adults; they are available online or at the Box Office the day of the concert. Girl choir auditions will take place in April; interested girls new to the program are encouraged to register for an audition as soon as possible.
- Next Saturday, March 29th, at approximately 8:30 pm, we will draw the winning tickets for this year’s raffle! The drawing will take place at the conclusion of the 7:00 pm girl choir concert and will be webcast live. Listen for your name – perhaps you will be the winner of a $1,000 vacation voucher, $700 Academy of Music tuition credit, $250 Express gasoline card, or 2 tickets to see the Milwaukee Brewers! If you haven’t purchased your ticket, contact the Academy office or purchase one from your favorite Academy student! Each ticket is only $5. We are grateful to Appleton Group Wealth Management, U.S. Venture, Inc., Burkhalter Travel, and the Milwaukee Brewers for sponsoring the raffle.
- The Boldt Challenge, wherein donations of $100 or more will be matched, up to $5,000, is underway for one more week! If you have not yet had the opportunity to make a donation to the Academy’s tutti! fund, which supports tuition assistance, teacher development, and program costs, please do so today. The deadline for the Boldt Challenge is 4:00 pm Friday, March 28th.
- If you are enrolled in private lessons, please be sure to double-check with your teacher in regard to his or her spring break schedule. The Academy offices will have reduced hours the week of March 31st and will be closed all day on Wednesday, April 2nd.
- If you are interested in what our alumni are up to, you have the opportunity to see a few of them in performance with the Luther College Symphony Orchestra this Saturday at 7 pm at Appleton North High School. A freewill donation will be collected.
Enjoy this springtime concert season,
Karen Bruno, director
Lawrence Academy of Music
Happy New Year! Things outside may be chilly, but the Academy is abuzz with activity:
- This week is officially parent-student-teacher conference week for those enrolled in private lessons. Please expect a ten-minute meeting with your teacher at the conclusion of the lesson. Feel free to ask any questions or clarify any goals during this time. Your teacher will provide you with a written mid-year evaluation and discuss plans for second semester.
- Congratulations to those who prepared for this year’s honors auditions. The honors recital, featuring ten soloists in grades 4-12, will take place on Sunday, January 26th at 2 pm in the Lawrence Memorial Chapel. The recital is free and will last approximately 45 minutes. Please join us to enjoy these outstanding performances!
- If you come to the Academy building, please pay careful attention to the fire lane. There is no stopping allowed at any time in the fire lane adjacent to the building. Because the parking lot is already narrow, parking (or idling) in this location creates a traffic hazard and effectively blocks all movement in or out of the lot. This issue is exacerbated during the snowy months, as we lose roughly two spaces in the back of our lot to snow piles. Lawrence University has the authority to ticket anyone sitting in the car and idling in the fire lane. Please be respectful of everyone who uses the Academy parking lot; come inside to wait for your child or park and walk your child into the building from the Academy lot or the lot on Rocky Blier Way. Thank you for your assistance in this important safety and traffic matter.
- Finally, a reminder about inclement weather: the Academy does not follow the closures of local schools. If you participate in an ensemble, you will be notified via email if a rehearsal is cancelled. If you are enrolled in private lessons, please contact your teacher to see if s/he is teaching (the decision not to teach is left up to individual studio teachers). Unless Lawrence University itself closes, the Academy is open and office staff are present. If you have any questions, please refer to our inclement weather policy.
Thank you for your ongoing support of the Lawrence Academy of Music!
Karen Bruno, director
Dear Academy Family:
As the Academy’s programs begin, the vibrant energy in the building coincides with the soon-to-be-vibrant colors of the trees outside my window. It’s a wonderful change from the slower pace of summer! Below are a few important reminders as well as invitations to join us for several events.
- Very soon, your teacher will have specific information regarding how your studio or ensemble is going to participate in the tutti! auction. Please ask him or her for more information.
- The Academy is proud to present its first online store! T-shirts, sweatshirts, and fleece are available for two weeks, beginning today. Click here to see the many size and color options! Orders are placed and paid online. Items will be delivered mid-late October to the Academy.
- We are sponsoring several free concerts in the next two weeks. Please join us for the following (each is approximately 1 hour in length):
- Family Concert: An Introduction to the Baroque with Flying Forms, guest artists – Saturday, September 28, 1 pm, Lawrence Memorial Chapel (cosponsored by Lawrence Baroque Ensemble)
- Faculty Recital: Anna Reiser, piano, and David Rubin, violin – Sunday, September 29, 1 pm, Harper Hall in the Lawrence Conservatory
- Faculty Recital: Barbara Beechey, viola and Michael Rivers, piano, with Kortney James, flute – Saturday, October 5, 2 pm, Harper Hall in the Lawrence Conservatory
- Did you know that we are on social media? “Like” us on facebook to receive additional resources and time-sensitive updates (including weather-related issues for ensembles) or follow us on twitter: @LawrenceAcadMus .
On behalf of Academy teachers and staff,
Karen Bruno, director
Lawrence Academy of Music