There are some exciting projects being completed on the Athletic Grounds at Lawrence University over the summer months. When the students return to campus this fall, there will be some changes that await them. The Alexander Gymnasium and much of the surrounding athletic facilitites are being updated and re-vamped by Lawrence University. There are a number of projects happening throughout the summer that will not only enhance the facilities from a visual perspective, but the changes should also allow for Viking Athletics to attract even more quality student-athletes.
Several of the projects have been completed or are in progress including:
* The outdoor track is being completely re-surfaced and developed in order to have the ability to host NCAA events
* New, state-of-the-art sound system installed in the gymnasium
* 17 championship banners to be installed throughout the archways in the gymnasium
* Coaching offices on the main floor to be painted and updated
* Outdoor batting cages constructed between the baseball and softball fields
* Video projector with an 8-foot screen installed in the “Team Room” for video analysis by the varsity programs
“We are excited about the changes to say the least. Our coaching staff has been working extremely hard to recruit student-athletes for many years … and it is great for them to see that our administration is behind their efforts. These changes will only enhance the ability to recruit and retain our student-athletes. We are really looking forward to seeing the results of the changes being made this summer,” stated Director of Athletics, Mike Szkodzinski.
The Viking Football program will be the first to return to campus as they begin camp on August 14th.