Staff Communications Committee Policies
To increase and enhance communication campus-wide, encouraging a sense of community and common purpose.
- Schedule and develop three All Staff Meetings per year
- Maintain the Staff Connection website
- Explore and create plans to enhance campus communication
- Respond to staff feedback
- Other initiatives as appropriate
- Individuals will serve as ambassadors for promoting positive campus-wide communication
- A Chair of the Committee will be appointed by the Committee. One or more Co-Chairs may also be appointed as desired. The Chair or his/her designate is responsible for scheduling Committee meetings, setting the meeting agendas, and being a liaison between Committee members as necessary.
- The directors of Communications and Human Resources departments will serve in an advisory role. They are responsible for providing guidance to the committee.
Membership shall consist of a minimum of eight staff members (both full- and part-time are eligible) and at least one leadership position. A maximum of 12 staff members shall be allowed to serve on the committee at any one time. As much as possible, the committee will be composed of people from a variety of departments and roles.
Rotating membership will be in effect as follows:
- At least half of all membership will consist of two-year appointments. The remainder may be one- or two-year appointments.
- One-year appointments may be renewed as desired by the member for one additional year. Two-year appointments may not be renewed for a successive term. Therefore, a staff member may serve on the Committee for no more than two years in succession and must remain off the Committee for at least one year between appointments.
- If a staff member must leave the Committee during his/her appointment, he/she will be asked to recommend his/her replacement if leaving will cause membership numbers to drop below the minimum of eight members.
- Volunteers will be considered first as new members to the Committee. Volunteers will be sought by inviting staff members to indicate their interest either through a web link or a onequestion survey or email. This opportunity should be conveyed by the Committee to all Staff during the Winter term.
- Volunteers will be chosen based on desire to serve and for the purpose of department representation on the committee.
- Beyond those who volunteer, members may be invited as needed by their supervisor.
Appointments are for 12-month terms. At the end of each academic year, the Committee considers membership for the following year. New appointments to the Committee must be approved by the appointee’s supervisor before the Committee invites the appointee to join. The new appointments should start at the beginning of summer.
Four subcommittees currently exist which will remain in effect as long as appropriate.
- Staff Meeting subcommittee
- Website subcommittee
- Community Development subcommittee
- List-It@Lawrence subcommittee
Each subcommittee shall consist of a minimum of three Committee members. Outgoing Committee members who are on a subcommittee are responsible for training the incoming Committee members with their responsibilities to ensure a smooth transition.
The Committee shall meet a minimum once per month throughout the 12-month term. Additional meetings will be scheduled as needed.