Dear Lawrence Community,
As anyone on campus can see, we are already well into construction season at Lawrence. This year there are an especially large number of projects in the works and planned over the course of the summer, many of which are funded by generous donors to the university. The current status and estimated dates for these projects is shown in the list below.
Look for periodic updates on these projects in the LU Insider over the course of the summer. In the meantime, building coordinators will be notified when any of these projects will have an impact on their building(s).
Mary Alma Noonan
Vice President for Finance & Administration
Summer Construction Projects*
- Summer power shutdown: Thursday, August 5, is the annual sub-station cleaning. Power to the entire campus will be shut down from 3:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Brokaw Hall: Construction is underway to add a ramp to the front entrance on the east side of Brokaw. New sidewalks will also be poured. Completion by the end of July.
- Warch Campus Center dining: Renovation of Kaplan’s Café and Andrew Commons is in progress. The Café will be done late July. Andrew Commons starts in mid-June and will be done September 3.
- Warch Campus Center stairwell & third floor: The stairwell and third floor flooring will be replaced from mid-June through the end of August. The entire building will be closed to the public and occupants for the summer.
- Kohler Hall: Renovation is underway and will complete August 14. Bathrooms, ramp, windows and the first floor will be completed in Phase I during summer 2021. Phase II will encompass the lower level and remainder of the windows over summer 2022.
- Youngchild 121: This lecture hall is under construction and will be completed by the end of August.
- Kaeyes Mamaceqtawuk Plaza sculpture: A sculpture by indigenous architect Christopher Cornelius is planned for one of the planter beds in the Plaza in August. A dedication to the new plaza name and sculpture will be held in the fall.
- Hardscape between Ormsby and Hiett: The hardscape is scheduled for replacement June 14 – September 3.
- Bjorklunden: A lighting upgrade and viewing deck are being installed through the summer. These projects are expected to wrap up in early fall.
- Ormsby Hall: HVAC control upgrade. Starting in mid-June and finishing late August.
- Colman elevator: A new elevator will be installed in Colman from mid-June through late August.
- 224 Park Avenue: A new garage is in progress, with completion expected this summer.
- Music Drama electrical: Upgrades to the electrical system are in progress, with an expected early summer completion.
- Memorial Chapel windows: All stained-glass windows are currently being replaced in the chapel. Replacements will be complete by the end of the summer.
- Briggs: The 1st floor former CAS suite is. Being renovated to house a new faculty lab.
- Youngchild labs: A remodel of new faculty lab space is underway.
- Sidewalk replacement: General maintenance on campus sidewalks will take place throughout summer.
- Johnson Controls: The campus-wide lighting upgrade and science building fume hood upgrades will be complete by the end of July.
- Lawrence Community Music School: An upgrade to the building’s HVAC and power will be complete by the end of June.
*Projects and dates subject to change