APPLETON, Wis. — It was a long day for the Lawrence University men’s tennis team, but it ended with a 6-3 nonconference victory over Monmouth College on Saturday.
Lawrence started its day by getting up at 4 a.m. in Orlando, Fla., after wrapping up nearly a week of play in the Sunshine State. The Vikings got on a plane, flew back to Milwaukee and arrived in Appleton early this afternoon.
The Vikings (6-6) then rallied for a win over the Scots (5-5) at Fox Cities Racquet Club after dropping two of the three doubles matches. Lawrence got a key victory at No. 3 doubles as Brian DeCorte and Craig Sherwood posted a 9-7 victory.
Lawrence then won five of the six singles matches to complete the victory. Cooper Smith (No. 1), Jason Dunn (No. 2), Sherwood (No. 4), DeCorte (No. 5) and Jeremy Andereck (No. 6) were all victorious.
Monmouth College vs Lawrence University
3/23/2013 at Appleton, Wis.
Lawrence University 6, Monmouth College 3
1. Cooper Smith (LU) def. David Johnson (MC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jason Dunn (LU) def. David Stewart (MC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Chris Franco (MC) def. Max Zlevor (LU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Craig Sherwood (LU) def. Marco Franco (MC) 6-0, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Brian DeCorte (LU) def. Alex King (MC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jeremy Andereck (LU) def. Andrew Shiakallis (MC) 6-2, 6-1
1. David Johnson/David Stewart (MC) def. Jason Dunn/Max Zlevor (LU) 8-3
2. Chris Franco/Marco Franco (MC) def. Cooper Smith/Jeremy Andereck (LU) 8-4
3. Brian DeCorte/Craig Sherwood (LU) def. Alex King/Andrew Shiakallis (MC) 9-7
Monmouth College 5-5
Lawrence University 6-6