OSHKOSH, Wis. — The Lawrence University men’s tennis team completed its undefeated run through the Midwest Conference’s North Division with a 9-0 shutout of St. Norbert College on Sunday at the YMCA Tennis Center.
Lawrence (13-6, 4-0 MWC) wins the North Division title for the second time in the last four seasons after also taking the championship in 2010. The Vikings will be the top seed from the North Division in the four team Midwest Conference Tournament on Friday in Madison, Wis. Lawrence will face the second seed from the South Division, Monmouth College, in the semifinals. The South Division champ, Grinnell College, faces Carroll University in the other semifinal.
Lawrence got off to a great start on Sunday by sweeping the three doubles matches, but it wasn’t easy. The No. 1 doubles team of Jason Dunn and Max Zlevor won 8-2. But Cooper Smith and Jeremy Andereck won a hard-fought 9-7 decision at No. 2, and Craig Sherwood and Brian DeCorte needed to win a tiebreaker for the victory at No. 3.
Lawrence then swept the singles with Smith (No. 1), Dunn (No. 2) and De Corte (No. 5) all winning in straight sets. Zlevor dropped the first set but then didn’t drop a game in the final two sets to win at No. 3. Both Sherwood (No. 4) and Andereck (No. 6) won supertiebreakers to claim victories after splitting the first two sets.
Lawrence University 9, St. Norbert College 0
1. Cooper Smith (LU) def. Matt Lobeck (SNC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jason Dunn (LU) def. Tim Hartwick (SNC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Max Zlevor (LU) def. Nick Acosta (SNC) 5-7, 6-0, 6-0
4. Craig Sherwood (LU) def. Travis Buechel (SNC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Brian DeCorte (LU) def. Josh Sweere (SNC) 6-0, 6-4
6. Jeremy Andereck (LU) def. Nate Gosz (SNC) 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (13-11)
1. Jason Dunn/Max Zlevor (LU) def. Tim Hartwick/Nick Acosta (SNC) 8-2
2. Cooper Smith/Jeremy Andereck (LU) def. Matt Lobeck/Casey Brice (SNC) 9-7
3. Craig Sherwood/Brian DeCorte (LU) def. Travis Buechel/Nate Gosz (SNC) 9-8 (11-9)
St. Norbert College 6-11, 2-2 MWC North
Lawrence University 13-6, 4-0 MWC North