OSHKOSH, Wis. — The beat goes on for the Lawrence University men’s tennis team against Ripon College.
In a Midwest Conference North Division match late Wednesday night, the Vikings rolled to an 8-1 victory over the Red Hawks at the YMCA Tennis Center. It marks the sixth consecutive year that Lawrence (11-6, 2-0 MWC) has defeated Ripon (2-14, 0-4), and Lawrence head coach Kevin Girard improved to 6-0 against the Red Hawks.
Despite missing two starters to an academic commitment, the Vikings dropped only one match. Lawrence got the evening started with wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles. Craig Sherwood and Brian DeCorte were 8-0 winners at No. 2 and freshmen Daniel Anderson and Mitch Kasprzyk won 8-5 at No. 3.
The Vikings swept the singles with the two subs in the lineup, Anderson and Kasprzyk, both picking up wins. Anderson won 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 and Kasprzyk was a 6-0, 6-1 winner at No. 6.
The 8-1 win for Lawrence snapped a four-match streak of 9-0 victories against the Red Hawks. It marked the first time Ripon had scored a point against Vikings since a 5-4 Lawrence win back in 2008.
Lawrence University 8, Ripon College 1
1. Cooper Smith (LU) def. Eric Seiler (RC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Craig Sherwood (LU) def. Connor Greenwald (RC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Brian DeCorte (LU) def. Ryan Slowinski (RC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jeremy Andereck (LU) def. Brian Schumacher (RC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Daniel Anderson (LU) def. Anders Goodwin (RC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Mitch Kasprzyk (LU) def. Tyler Hopewell (RC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Eric Seiler/Connor Greenwald (RC) def. Cooper Smith/Jeremy Andereck (LU) 8-2
2. Craig Sherwood/Brian DeCorte (LU) def. Ryan Slowinski/Brian Schumacher (RC) 8-0
3. Daniel Anderson/Mitch Kasprzyk (LU) def. Anders Goodwin/Tyler Hopewell (RC) 8-5
Ripon College 2-14, 0-4 MWC North
Lawrence University 11-6, 2-0 MWC North