GALESBURG, Ill. — Ethan Perushek won a hard-fought match at No. 6 singles to lift the Lawrence University men’s tennis team to a 5-4 nonconference win over Knox College on Saturday.
Perushek dropped the first set to Dustin Loch 7-6 (7-3 in the tiebreaker) but then came back to win 7-6 (7-4 in the tiebreaker), 6-4. The third set was tied 4-4 before Perushek won two consecutive games to close out the Prairie Fire. Lawrence (2-3) also picked up singles victories from David Jumes at No. 2 and Sam Wiener at No. 5.
The Nos. 2 and 3 doubles teams of Jumes and Wiener and Perushek and Adam Busch also posted victories to give the Vikings a 2-1 lead in the match after the doubles play.
Lawrence University 5, Knox College 4
1. Walter Palmer (KC) def. Brian DeCorte (LU) 6-2, 6-2
2. David Jumes (LU) def. Karl Ruzgas (KC) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Jonathan Ng (KC) def. Jeremy Andereck (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Max Gatyas (KC) def. Adam Busch (LU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sam Wiener (LU) def. Pragyaditya Mukerjee (KC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Ethan Perushek (LU) def. Dustin Loch (KC) 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
1. Walter Palmer/Karl Ruzgas (KC) def. Brian DeCorte/Jeremy Andereck (LU) 8-1
2. David Jumes/Sam Wiener (LU) def. Jonathan Ng/Max Gatyas (KC) 8-4
3. Adam Busch/Ethan Perushek (LU) def. Pragyaditya Mukerjee/Dustin Loch (KC) 8-6
Lawrence University 2-3
Knox College 3-4