MILWAUKEE, Wis. — The Lawrence University women’s tennis team opened its season with an 8-1 nonconference victory over the Milwaukee School of Engineering on Wednesday at McKinley Courts.
The Vikings got the day off to a good start with a sweep of the three doubles matches. Hannah Geoffrey and Katie Frankel won at No. 1, Ali Heiring and Lyndsey Holsen won at No. 2 and Allison Juda and Elena Watson pitched a shutout with an 8-0 victory at No. 3.
Lawrence dropped just 11 games total in winning five singles matches, all in straight sets. Geoffrey won at No. 1, Holsen won at No. 3, Juda was a winner at No. 4, Tess Vogel won at No. 5 and Melissa Heeren was victorious at No. 6. Both Vogel and Heeren dropped just one game en route to their wins.
Holsen, a freshman from Oconomowoc, Wis., got her collegiate career off to a great start, picking up her first singles and doubles victories.
Lawrence University 8, MSOE 1
1. Hannah Geoffrey (LU) def. Grant, Carly (MSOE) 6-2, 6-2
2. Trier, Marly (MSOE) def. Katie Frankel (LU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Lyndsey Holsen (LU) def. Lee, Shelly (MSOE) 6-1, 6-2
4. Allison Juda (LU) def. Avery, Melanie (MSOE) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tess Vogel (LU) def. Kelley, Brittany (MSOE) 6-1, 6-0
6. Melissa Heeren (LU) def. Chaudhari, Riya (MSOE) 6-0, 6-1
1. Hannah Geoffrey/Katie Frankel (LU) def. Grant, Carly/Trier, Marly (MSOE) 8-5
2. Lyndsey Holsen/Ali Heiring (LU) def. Lee, Shelly/Avery, Melanie (MSOE) 8-2
3. Allison Juda/Elena Watson (LU) def. Chaudhari, Riya/Skowronski, Phoebe (MSOE) 8-0