MILWAUKEE, Wis. — The Lawrence University men’s tennis team opened its season with a 6-3 non-conference win over the Milwaukee School of Engineering on Sunday.
The match also featured a pair of first collegiate victories for the Vikings. Sophomore Bill Schuman-Kline teamed with rookie David Brooker as they earned their first ever doubles win, an 8-2 victory at No. 3. Schuman-Kline also got his first singles victory when he knocked off Kyle Fassbender in straight sets at No. 5.
David Jumes and Brian DeCorte were winners at No. 1 doubles for the Vikings, and Jumes also won impressively at No. 1 singles. Adam Busch won a super-tiebreaker to take his No. 4 singles matches, and Izaya Turenne did the same for the Vikings at No. 6.
Lawrence University 6, MSOE 3
1. David Jumes (LU) def. David Gorodetsky (MSOE) 6-2, 6-0
2. John Price (MSOE) def. Brian DeCorte (LU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
3. Tom Smith (MSOE) def. Mitch Kasprzyk (LU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Adam Busch (LU) def. Mason Sauder (MSOE) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Bill Schuman-Kline (LU) def. Kyle Fassbender (MSOE) 6-0, 6-4
6. Izaya Turenne (LU) def. Ryan Runke (MSOE) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
1. David Jumes/Brian DeCorte (LU) def. David Gorodetsky/Mason Sauder (MSOE) 8-6
2. John Price/Tom Smith (MSOE) def. Mitch Kasprzyk/Adam Busch (LU) 8-5
3. Bill Schuman-Kline/David Brooker (LU) def. Ryan Runke/Austin Fite (MSOE) 8-2