To help our faculty create assignments that use the makerspace and have easily assessable outcomes, we’ve put together some Maker Competencies.
ACQUIRING & SHARING SKILLS:
- Learns new equipment or technology and is able to use with minimal supervision
- Exhibits a strong enough grasp of new skills to assist peers with newly-acquired knowledge
- Applies meaning to projects as tied to coursework
- Uses abstract thinking to apply a tool or technology in a new way to carry out task
- Employs creative thinking and problem solving to arrive at end product
- Follows multi-step, procedure-based tasks in the correct order
- Realizes an idea from concept to finished project
RESPECTING SPACE & OTHERS:
- Uses tools in a safe and respectful manner
- Demonstrates care and neatness with equipment and shared space
- Respects copyright and intellectual property, gives credit when appropriate
- Shows empathy toward others by following rules of the space
We hope these competencies will help makerspace educators, teachers, professors, etc. come up with fun, inspiring, hands-on assignments with outcomes that can be easily assessed!