social work

Tag: social work

Common #NES Graduate Degrees

Considering a Career in Education?  

If you are considering a career in Education, it is important to note that you often only need a Bachelor’s Degree in order to be a classroom teacher at the early childhood, K-12, and high school levels. However, if you would like to teach at the higher education or University level you often need at least a Master’s degree.   

These degrees can be pursued at any time after a Bachelor’s is achieved. For example, one can take a few years off after undergrad to get hands-on experience teaching in a classroom setting before pursuing their next degree. There is no right or wrong way to do it, it all depends on your schedule and how you would like to pursue the degree. 

If you’re considering getting a Master’s degree for the field of education, you must consider which Master’s degree is the right fit for you. Currently, there are two common Master’s programs that can take you two different paths in the field; the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master of Education (M.Ed.). The MAT is for those who specifically want to teach in a classroom setting. On the other hand, the M.Ed. is often pursued by those who wish to work in administrative or policy roles, for example, within school districts, with the US Department of Education, or departments of education at the state level.   

There are two main Doctorate degrees for those in Education. The Doctorate in Education (Ed.D), and the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (Ph.D). The Ed.D is often pursued by those who want to work in positions of leadership and policy making within a school or school district. Whereas the Ph.D is often for those who wish to be University and Higher Education Teachers or teacher educators.  

Want to know more? Check out these sources below:  

Considering Religious Work?  

For those considering furthering their education in the field of Religious Work, it is important to know that many professionals in the field have Ph.D’s and Doctorates rather than just a Masters degree. However, there are multiple Master’s degrees available for those with different interests and aspirations. This is important to consider when career planning, and deciding exactly which career path you would like to take.  

The current Master’s programs offered for Religious Work is the Master of Divinity (MDiv), the Master of Religion(MRel), and the Master of Theological Studies (MTS). The MDiv is often pursued by those who wish to become ministers. The MRel is for those who want to specialize in any ONE religious tradition, whereas the MTS is for those who want to specialize in MANY different religious traditions.  

As mentioned before, those in the field of Religious Work often have Doctorates rather than just a Master’s degree. The Doctorates currently being offered is the Doctor of Divinity (DD), the Doctor of Biblical Studies (DBS) and the Doctor of Philosophy in Theology (Ph.D). The DD is for those who wish to lead religious organizations and the Ph.D is for those who wish to be researchers on Theological Issues. However, the DBS is specifically for those who want to specialize in the Christian faith.

Want to know more? Check out these sources below:  

Pursuing Graduate Work in Religious Studies (via)

What Can I Do With a Relgion or Theology Degree? (via)

Considering Social Work?

All positions in Social Work require at least a Bachelor’s Degree. However, many positions often require higher degrees in order to achieve them.  

For those interested in Social Work there is one main Master’s degree one can pursue; the Master’s of Social Work (MSW). Almost all social worker positions require at least a Bachelors, however, if you wish to become a licensed clinical social worker you must also have an MSW.  

There are also two Doctorates one can pursue in the area of Social Work. These are the Doctor of Social Work (DSW) and the Doctor of Philosophy in Social Work (PhD). The DSW is beneficial for those wishing to continue their education as a clinical social worker in hopes of become agency heads and other positions of administration, whereas the PhD is for those considering being educators in social work.

Want to know more? Check out these sources below:

Do I Need a Masters Degree to be a Social Worker? (via)  

Should I pursue a Ph.D in Social Work? (via)