Summer is here and it’s time to enjoy the Mudd in a whole new way. The Library transforms over summer break, as most of our students are away and the busy bustle of the academic year has subsided.
Of course, you’ll find an industrious student or professor or two huddled around a laptop, but for the most part, it’s fairly quiet around here.
This peaceful, settled atmosphere allows our resources and spaces to appear in a whole new light.
Here are some ideas to help you make the most of summer in the Mudd:
- Come to our coffeehouse sessions! This is a summertime Mudd must!
- Enjoy the air conditioning while catching up on local, national, and international news with our large selection of newspapers or popular magazines.
- It’s finally time to binge watch your favorite TV series! Or, some popular or classic movies. We’ve got a ton of documentaries and musicals, too. Browse the DVDs in the media center, or check out our streaming resources (You’ll need to log in).
- Make an appointment to FINALLY check out the Archives.
- Challenge your family or your nemesis to a game night! We have both video and board games for check-out, or, stay and play!
- Wander around the building to appreciate our art. Pay homage to The Katie while you’re at it.
- Find a fabulous summer read! Stop by our coffeehouse on Wednesday, July 12 for our recommendations. Or, peruse the third floor for the latest and greatest in popular fiction and young adult or graphic novels. Of course we have poetry and classic literature, too, as well as some really compelling nonfiction.
- Contact a reference librarian and ask for a peek at some of the rare books in our special collections.
- Soak up the scholarly atmosphere while developing historical perspective and appreciation in the Lincoln Reading Room.
- Come and introduce yourself to the staff and faculty who call the Mudd home. We enjoy getting to know members of the campus community and this is a great time of year to catch us with a few moments to talk about our work, the library’s offerings, and how we can best serve our community.
Summer is here and so are we! We strive to make this library a welcoming, comfortable, peaceful, productive space, and we encourage you to make the most of it, regardless of the time of year.
Whether you’re reading, researching, or relaxing, we’d love to hear how you’re using the Mudd this summer!
See you soon.